Date(s) - 01/10/2023 - 07/10/2023
Finca de Arrieta – Eco Retreat
Hello I’m Michelle – Tai Chi & Meditation Instructor since 2011 – and I’ve been running holistic holidays for around 5 years now. I love nothing more than to bring together like-minded, lovely people for adventures in inspiring surroundings and really put the TREAT in retreat!!
Following a wonderful retreat this year (Oct 2022) I am SO excited and delighted to invite you to join me again for 7-days of Tai Chi, Chi Kung, Meditation, Yoga and exciting mini-adventures on the spectacular biosphere reserve of Lanzarote in the Canary Islands.
If you’re looking for great company, good food, breathtaking surroundings, mindful movement, fun, rest and relaxation – then this is the Winter-sun break for you! Our simply spectacular and stylish venue – Finca de Arrieta – is only a 5-minute walk from the beach with refreshing views of the Atlantic Ocean and a majestic, volcanic backdrop.
In this beautiful biosphere, we will slow the tempo right down and tune into the rhythms of this amazing, ancient volcanic island, allowing space and time to relax, unwind and be kind to your body and mind. You’ll have 7 days and nights to soak up the scenery and be inspired by the landscape – which will be like another “guest’” in our group! You’ll feel energised and restored by our classes which will take place in the special locations on our doorstep eg. Tai Chi by the sea and at the foot of a vast volcano!! (All welcome – no experience nec). You’ll be uplifted by getting to know new people and enjoy meals and day trips together too – when we go on some mini-adventures together around the island to see its unique landscape and ecological heritage. See EXPLORING LANZAROTE below for more details.
Upon your arrival in Lanzarote, everything will be waiting for you and your only decisions will be what to order from the local beachfront restaurant in the evening!
You might also like to read my BLOG “Thelma and Louise, Tai Chi and Me – Why I love hosting holistic holidays” CLICK HERE and see pics of past overseas retreats (NB> written before the event in Lanzarote in OCt 2022). And also see below the wonderful words of one of my gorgeous guests in 2022!!
I simply can’t wait to welcome you to “Chi-lax” in this magical place!! Michelle x
GUEST TESTIMONIAL from October 2022 – Here’s what Noa had to say about our trip here last year! I’m delighted she enjoyed it as much as I did!
“Wow, how do you sum up a week like this – a Tai Chi and Yoga retreat in Lanzarote in the Canary Islands…
I’ve been practicing yoga for a few years now… Tai chi for the first time. Fun to experience things for the first time!
And even more so when they happen in a magical villa in the northern and very non-tourist part of the island…
A kind of perfection
Classes in the morning and evening.. With a crazy view of the sea. Some of the lessons were on the beach with your feet in the water and one even at the the base of a volcano.
A lot of time to think, to rest. To have fun with women of different ages and from different places
And most importantly… I disconnected the Internet by choice… Allowing myself to truly disconnect…
What I know is that
A. This is the beginning of a new love – retreats!
B. That I will definitely return to Lanzarote…
In a nutshell… It was perfect and not easy to come back.
Thank you so much Michelle xx”
Your retreat price includes the following once you arrive in Lanzarote :
- Return airport transfers in a hybrid car NB. Free transfers apply on 1st and 8th October only. See TRAVEL & TRANSFERS below for more details.
- 7 nights deluxe accommodation – incl all bedding, towels and beach towels.
- A substantial, nutritious brunch each day – depending on our schedule. More details below under OUR MEALS
- A farewell banquet on our last evening – including a paella cookery demonstration with cava, sangria and dessert (veggie and meat options available)!
- Free drinking water (plastic-free!), soft drinks/ tea & coffee, snacks and fruit will be available throughout the day
- Daily Tai Chi, Chi Kung and Meditation classes with myself. And two yoga classes (incl one at a volcano! See below) during our stay given by a local instructor, Marta. Yoga mats will be provided.
- Tai Chi & Yoga workshop and picnic at the volcano national park! This year we went on a spectacular half-day trip to Caldera de los Cuervos with the help of our lovely yoga teacher, Marta. The trip included an easy walk around the base of a volcano (approx 60 mins), a picnic overlooking the lava fields and panoramic volcanic mountains followed by a Tai Chi and Yoga workshop. This was one of the highlights of the trip and is not to be missed!
- Free use of the facilities at our villa including solar-heated plunge pool, sun-loungers and ping-pong table
- Free transport to a range of exciting optional day-trips & excursions. See EXPLORING LANZAROTE below.
FLIGHTS & EXTRAS :
The following are NOT INCLUDED in the retreat fee:
- Your flights to Lanzarote. See TRAVEL & TRANSFERS below.
- 6x evening meals.
- Any other meals, drinks, alcoholic drinks or snacks you may wish to purchase
- Entrance fees on optional day trips – See more details under EXPLORING LANZAROTE below.
- Any other personal expenses, gifts etc. NB. pls see WHAT TO BRING section below.
PAYMENTS, ROOM OPTIONS & PRICES:
SHARING twin/double# – ¢1,097pp
SINGLE OCCUPANCY single room – ¢1,297pp (single room options ALL FULLY BOOKED)
SINGLE OCCUPANCY – double room ¢1,397pp
#NB. If sharing a double please book x2 places. If booking a place in a twin room as a solo-traveller, you can book one place and will share with the guest who books the 2nd twin place.
DEPOSIT – a non-refundable** deposit of ¢257pp is required to book your place.
This can be done online at the bottom of this page or alternatively over the phone by card – pls contact me to arrange +353 86 878 5212 email@example.com.
The full-balance is then due 6-weeks before the event, no later than FRIDAY 18th AUGUST 2023.
All balance payments must be made directly into my Irish business banking account either by online-transfer or in-branch lodgement. Balances paid by card will incur a 2% additional fee (approx +¢20-25 Euro). For T&C’s and CANCELLATION POLICY pls see below.
Places are limited and subject to availability at the time of booking.
KEEN TO STAY EXTRA NIGHTS?
Our holiday runs from Sun 1st-Sun 8th Oct. If you’d like to stay for an extra nights there are many on-site options available and costs start from around ¢125pn (accommodation only) subject to availability. Please let me know when booking and I can connect you with the company who own the Eco-Finca.
OUR ACCOMMODATION – Sustainable tourism at the Eco-Finca de Arrieta.
Eco-Finca de Arrieta (‘eco-village’) is a unique collection of villas and luxury yurts, owned and run by (coincidentally!) a Brit called Michelle, her husband and their lovely team who have been living and working in Lanzarote for over 30 years. They have built up a portfolio of amazing properties all over the island with style and sustainability always at the fore.
In a recent blog, they posted “we’ve partnered with sustainable tourism champions, Canary Green to help promote responsible holidays. At Lanzarote Retreats we believe that life-enhancing travel is not just about seeing a place, but experiencing it, which in turn helps conserve local culture and communities. It’s great to collaborate with other organisations that feel the same way.” Their team also ran a recent beach clean-up project to maintain the pristine Playa de la Garita (see more details below). I’m so delighted to be collaborating once again with this team and their Finca which is unique to the island of Lanzarote and supports sustainable tourism.
Our private Eco-Farmhouse combines bespoke luxury with local materials and is largest and most luxurious of the range of properties on this ‘off-grid’ eco-village. This beautiful villa is all about relaxation in stunning surroundings where nature is like another guest. It clearly showcases a love of hosting guests in style but with impeccable eco-credentials too – in support of the beautiful biosphere reserve they call home eg. The whole Finca has solar power, full-recycling facilities and sustainable drinking water source (no plastic!!!).
And rest-assured that sustainability does not mean skimping on style and comfort! Whether you are enjoying a nap on your sun lounger by the solar heated plunge-pool, taking part in our classes in the private garden or enjoying the sunset with a glass of local wine – with its views of the volcanoes, sounds of the sea and Canarian climate, relaxing is not difficult and it goes without saying that you will experience the TREAT in retreat!!!
Our accommodation includes –
- Deluxe bedrooms – Each is individually decorated by local crafts-people and the whole villa features local reclaimed wood, volcanic rock and stone.
- Two large bathrooms – one in the villa and one by the poolside
- A fully-fitted kitchen next to a large indoor dining area
- A beautiful, shaded, outdoor lounge and dining space
- A large poolside gazebo also with outdoor dining space
- A private garden and terrace with plunge pool and sun beds, next to which we can hold some of our Tai Chi and Yoga classes
- Gorgeous hand-crafted furniture throughout including a large day-bed and chill-out space
ABOUT OUR LOCATION – Arrieta – An oasis in the lava !
We will really get away from it all – with ocean views from every angle, flanked by volcanic mountains as far as the eye can see! Our location is stunning, serene and soothing and only 25km / 25-30 mins drive from the airport.
We are only 15 mins walk from the sleepy little fishing village of Arrieta and a stones-throw from the Atlantic ocean and its fabulous golden sand coastline. There are 2 beach-front restaurants serving delicious and reasonably priced local and international dishes and wines incl fresh seafood, where we will eat every night except for our Saturday evening 3-course paella banquet (included in your retreat fee!).
The village has a small supermarket, a few shops and sea-front cafes, plus the beaches, rockpools and beautiful coastal walks.
Playa de La Garita – Arrieta’s unspoilt, golden, sandy beach is across the road from the Eco-Finca and only a 5- minute walk away. This pristine beach has received the coveted European Blue Flag designation for its crystal clear waters, clean appearance, and good facilities. Currents can be strong here and draw in surfers, so swimmers take care. There is always protected swimming at the nearby, mini beach and sea-water rockpool. In October this year, the temperatures were around a very pleasant 23 degrees and were perfect for our outdoor classes, easy daytrips, sunbathing and a dip! There are two lovely bar/restaurants on the beach that will be perfect for our evening meals.
See more details of optional daytrips in EXPLORING LANZAROTE below.
- A substantial, daily brunch is included in your retreat price and will include lots of local produce eg. Local bread, butter, jam, orange juice, natural yoghurt, local eggs, cheeses, Serrano ham, plenty of fruit and tomatoes, fresh spinach tortilla (Spanish speciality). Also some treats such as ice cream and organic chocolate!
- You can help yourself to tea/ herbals, coffee and snacks throughout the day
- Drinking water is provided (tap-water is not potable). Plastic is a big issue for Lanzarote but our venue provides a sustainable drinking water supply. I suggest bringing a refillable water bottle with you.
- The Eco-Finca has a little shop where you can purchase local wines, beers, toiletries and snacks. There is also the local small supermarket.
- Evening meals – we will be eating-out for 6 of our 7 evenings most likely at one of the two local beach-front restaurants. I suggest a budget of ¢20-¢25 Euro per night which should be ample.
- Paella demo and banquet! On our last evening (Saturday) the fabulous “Ninja Chef’ Matt will host a very special Paella Cookery demonstration and banquet for us at the Farmhouse. This year it was lots of fun and a very special evening and the food was simply out of this world!! It finished off our holiday perfectly! He cooks both meat and veggie versions for us and we’ll enjoy the fruits of his labours with local cheese, bread and ‘mojos’ (Lanzarotian speciality sauces) plus Cava and dessert! This superb banquet is included in your retreat price.
- Special diets – veggie and dairy-free options can be catered for so please advise when booking if you have any special dietary needs. It will be assumed you do not require any special items unless you advise otherwise! But don’t worry – we can always nip to the larger supermarket if there’s something you really need.
EXPLORING LANZAROTE :
Lanzarote – The beautiful and unique island of Lanzarote is the nearest of the (Spanish owned) Canary Islands to the continent of Africa – only 100km away infact. Whereas it actually lies around 1000km from mainland Spain!
Lanzarote’s location makes it the perfect place to catch the sunshine almost all-year round. It has an average, balmy temperature of 22 degrees earning the island its nickname of “the Island of Eternal Spring.” Its landscape is one of extreme contrasts with fantastic sea-scapes and beaches and other-worldly volcanic vistas, where the only greenery might be hardy cacti.
Lanzarote’s most unique feature is that the entire island was designated as a Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO in 1993. While La Palma was the first Canary Island to feature an area of biosphere reserve, Lanzarote is exceptional because it includes all of the ecosystems and territories of the island including its towns and villages. It is said that “the perfect symbiosis that Lanzarote has achieved between man and nature is, without doubt, the main reason for the is international recognition”.
One man, the flamboyant Lanzarote native Cesar Manrique – artist, sculptor, architect, environmentalist and one-time Studio 54 regular , played a huge part in the design of Lanzarote’s towns and houses and also in keeping the island from being ravaged by the demands of mass tourism. His interventions and influence – that has suffered somewhat since his death in ‘93, – resulted in the tourist development of Lanzarote being one that was more sympathetic to the environment. Subsequently there is almost a complete absence of high rise hotels. A visit to the Cesar Manrique Foundation is a must (and will be on offer as an optional excursion!).
OPTIONAL EXCURSIONS –
During this year’s retreat (in Oct 2022) we thoroughly explored everything the island has to offer. Not only is our Villa convenient for the airport but also for a number of lovely daytrips and excursions. I’ll have a large car so can drive us around the island to see various viewpoints and must-see features of the island (free transport is included in your retreat fee). I will build time for excursions into our schedule and go with the general consensus as to which ones we go with eg.
- Cueva de los Verdes & Jameos del Agua (10 mins drive) – Stunning Volcanic caves and lava lakes with underground caverns, pools and even cafes and acoustic auditoriums! A must-see. Approx ¢10-15 euro pp entrance fee for both.
- Cesar Manrique Foundation (15 mins drive) – built into a lava-bubble, this extraordinary home of the great man has to be seen to be believed. A showcase of Manrique’s design and architectural talents. ¢10 euro pp entrance fee.
- Manrique’s Cactus garden – another few minutes drive from the caves and well worth a visit. ¢5pp
- Mirador del Rio (20 min drive) – Manrique’s spectacular viewpoint set into the Famara cliffs, with breathtaking views over the cliffs, volcanos and the tiny island and marina of Graciosa Island (with 500 inhabitants). Tiny village of Punta Mujeres is on the way with warm rock pools for swimming.
- Graciosa Island – the beautiful little island is accessible only by boat and is a unique feature of Lanzarote. It is easily explored on for or by bike (bicycles can be rented) and there are little beaches and cafes to enjoy. Approx ¢35pp
What to bring & FAQ’s:
Of course, this is not an exhaustive list but here are my suggestions to help make this an enjoyable and comfortable experience for everyone:
- Swimwear NB. Beach towels (and bath towels) are provided
- Beach shoes/ flip flops for swimming as it can be rocky / stony underfoot when swimming.
- Comfy, light clothing for Tai Chi & Yoga. NB. Yoga mats are provided
- Sunscreen / sunhat
- A torch
- Mosquito repellent – generally not a problem but the occasional mozzie may appear
- A wrap / layers for the evenings
- Favourite teabags and snacks if required!
- Sturdy shoes/runners for scenic walks
- European 2-pin plug adaptor
- Refillable water bottle
- If you have cabin baggage only – no bottle of liquids above 100ml can be taken on the plane. NB. Empty, refillable water bottles are fine in your hand luggage. Most airports now have water refill stations.
Q. I’m a beginner – are the Tai Chi and Chi Kung classes suitable for me? * A. Yes! Our classes will be suitable for beginners of all shapes, ages and sizes! The majority of movements in these classes are fairly gentle and I will talk you through every step. Your safety, comfort and wellbeing is my primary concern. I am very happy to chat with you on the phone to discuss any particular needs or questions you may have about the classes and you can find out more here. Please be mindful of your own physical limits and abilities when taking up any new form of exercise and during the classes ensure you stop immediately if any movements cause pain or discomfort. If you’re new to meditation, rest assured I will also guide you through it.
Q. Will it be hot when we go to Lanzarote? A. At the time of the holiday in early October the temperatures should be warm and pleasant. In October the temperatures can be around 22 degrees with pretty much zero chance of rain. However – Lanzarote can be very windy, especially by the sea. Our villa is fairly well sheltered and we’ll assess conditions for outdoor activities as we go.
Q. Can I drink the tap water? A. No! But the Finca has its own sustainable drinking water supply so you can refill your drinking bottles and avoid unnecessary plastic. The tap water is fine for showers and boiling in the kettle of course.
Q. Do you cater for special diets? A. Yes! Brunch/ breakfasts – We can provide diary free options and gluten free bread. For our Paella Evening there are veggie or meat/chicken options. Pls advise your special dietary requirements when you book your place.
Q. Where is the nearest village to the Villa? A. The nearest village is Arrieta (more details above ) around 15 mins walk from our venue. There are a handful of inexpensive cafe/bar/restaurants on the Main Street and near the small harbour in addition to the two lovely restaurants on the beach (5 mins walk from our venue). Plus a few gift shops. There is a small supermarket and a cash machine. Arietta does not have a pharmacy but if you need something urgently we can ask the staff at the Eco-Village or I will have a car and will be able to help.
Q. How much cash will I need to bring? A. Cards are generally accepted everywhere including the Eco-Village shop. However, I suggest having cash Euros with you for convenience when paying for our evening meals (as we will all be eating together and the local restaurants won’t be keen to split the bill into multiple card payments!!) and for snacks and drinks etc. There is a cash machine in Arrieta.
Q. Is there WiFi? A.Yes there is WiFi at the Villa.
Q. Are There Disability facilities?* A. Due to the local landscape and uneven , stony terrain , unfortunately this holiday and its activities, location and venue are not suitable for those with mobility issues or disabilities.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION :
Your safety, comfort and wellbeing on our retreat is of upmost priority for myself – Michelle, your facilitator – and the venue owners – Lanzarote Retreats. Therefore, to make the trip an unforgettable and enjoyable experience for everyone, I ask that you carefully read all of the following information below when booking your place regarding Travel & Transfers, Terms & Conditions and Cancellation Policy.
You’ll also see a list of FAQ’s above that I hope will be helpful. If you have any other queries pls don’t hesitate to contact me on email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone / WhatsApp +353 86 878 5212.
TRAVEL & TRANSFERS
- Travel Insurance – Your safety and comfort is our utmost concern please ensure you and anyone travelling with you have suitable travel insurance to cover your holiday as neither myself, Michelle Gupta, nor the venue owners Lanzarote Retreats, will be held responsible for any liability, expenses or losses you incur as a result of not being adequately insured. This is part of the T&C’s of booking your place on the retreat.
- Passport/Visa requirements – If you are travelling from outside UK or the EU, please check your passport, visa and entry requirements needed to travel to Spain and that you have sufficient time remaining on your passport. It is generally recommended by most EU governments that you have at least 6 months remaining on your passport when travelling.
- Transfers from and to Lanzarote Airport (30-40 mins drive each way) – Return transfers – by car/minivan are included in your retreat price. Pls note that transfers are included for the retreat dates only ie. Arriving 1st October / departing 8th October. If you decide to travel on different days then you will need to cover your own transfer costs accordingly (approx ¢40-50 Euro per taxi one-way). Based on the travel arrangements of other guests, every effort will be made to share extra transfer costs wherever possible.
- Your flights – Your flight costs and options will depend on your individual chosen route and time of booking. NB. I, Michelle Gupta, nor the venue owners Lanzarote Retreats, take any responsibility for changes or cancellations of flights by the airline. We will do our utmost to facilitate transfers in the case of delays.
- Your arrival time > I will already be in Lanzarote for a week before the retreat and will be collecting you from the airport. Pls note that we will have access to the villa until 2-3pm. We will use the communal space and excellent facilities at the Eco-Village before the villa is ready and we can easily stroll to the beach or the village for a coffee and a snack.
- Your departure > Check-out is 10am. We will have use of the a shower and changing facilities at the Eco-Village (10 mins walk away) if you have a late flight on 8th October.
- Your flight details – When booking your flights, please confirm your flight details by email to email@example.com. I will co-ordinate the transfers accordingly and group together a number of guests accordingly. It’s possible that you may have to wait at Lanzarote airport on arrival or departure and I will try to minimise waiting time wherever possible. I will also be setting up a Whatsapp group before our trip for ease of communication and travel – this has worked very well on all the overseas retreats I have facilitated.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF BOOKING & CANCELLATION POLICY
Tai Chi holiday at Finca de Arrieta, Lanzarote – facilitated by Michelle Gupta and venue owners, Lanzarote Retreats.
Dates: 1st – 8th October 2023 (see details regarding transfers and check-in / check-out times above).
By booking your place on this holiday from you are agreeing to abide by the following terms and conditions and confirm that you have read and understand all the information below. Paying your deposit and subsequent full-fees for the holiday forms the contract between me – Michelle Gupta, the retreat facilitator – and yourself.
1) Travel Insurance – as per the TRAVEL & TRANSFERS section above, it is essential that ensure yourself and any parties you may be attending with have adequate travel insurance for your trip. We cannot accept any participants who are not insured to travel.
2) Deposits – The deposit €257 pp paid to confirm your place and chosen room is ompletely non-refundable and will not be refunded for any reason – other than a cancellation of the event by the venue or host** (See Cancellation policy below).
3) All balance payments must be paid in full no later than 6-weeks before the event / by 19th August 2023 and you confirm that you will adhere to this payment date. All balance payments must be made via online banking or lodged directly into my business account. If you wish to pay by card over the phone then a card fee of 2% will be added.
NB. If booking your place after 18th August 2023 then the full-fee is payable when booking your place.
4) Group event – this retreat is designed as a group event and is held in the spirit of communal accommodation, group classes, eating meals together (sometimes on-site and sometimes in local restaurants) and attending optional excursions together. Naturally you are not obliged to attend every class or event offered on this trip – but if you are looking for a customised, solo holiday then this is NOT the right event for you! If you choose not to attend certain parts of the retreat, alternative arrangements will not be made for you.
5) Complaints procedure – in the unlikely event that a participant is unhappy about an aspect of the holiday, please put your complaints to me in writing no later than 7 days after the end of the trip (by 15th October 2023).
6) Force majeur – excluding Covid 19 – if the retreat cannot take place due to any event beyond reasonable control of myself or the venue owners and that which is unavoidable notwithstanding the care of the affected parties, each situation will be assessed at the time and all attempts will be made to re-schedule the event for a later date.
7) Covid 19 – (updated December 2022) the world has been open for travel for many months now and there are no restrictions at all for travel to Spain. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that Covid will cause any travel issues to Lanzarote in 2023. In the unlikely event of there being an issue –
a) please ensure you have the correct vaccinations or proof of recovery required to enter Spain when booking your place. Information can be found at the Irish Dept of Foreign Affairs here > https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/spain/
b) If there is a government mandated lockdown and travel ban made by the Spanish authorities during 1st-8th October 2023 that causes a cancellation of the event (because travel to and from Spain is not possible) any deposits and amounts paid will be valid for a rescheduled, future retreat with me – Michelle Gupta – at the same venue, valid for 12 months after restrictions are lifted.
c) If you choose not to travel but travel to Spain is still permitted Ie. In the case that the authorities of your country of origin are stating that travel to Spain not is advised or recommended but there is not an actual ban on travel and you make a choice not to travel, no deposits / amounts paid will be refunded. Nor will any payments be transferable to a future event.
d) Quarantine: in Spain – Before the retreat starts (before 1st October 2022) in the case of a quarantine period imposed by the Spanish government for the dates of the retreat 1-8th October 2023 – if it is longer than the length of the retreat ie. More than 7 days – then the amounts paid will be transferable to a future event as above. If the quarantine time is 7 days or less, then the event will go ahead. In your home country – If the government in your country of origin impose a quarantine on your return from Spain, then the event will also be transferable as above.
7) By signing up for my event you agree to subscribe to my monthly email newsletter. As a highly valued client I wish to keep you updated on retreats, classes, events and offers. I send no more than one email per month and you can unsubscribe at any time.
- The deposit €257pp is entirely non-refundable**
- Any cancellations made 6 weeks or more prior to the event – on or before 18th August 2023 – will receive a refund of 50% of the full retreat fee minus €257 deposit deposit which will not be refunded.
- Any cancellations made less than 6 weeks prior to the event – on or after 19th August 2023 will be charged at 100% of the retreat fee and no refunds will be issued for any reason.
- If you cannot attend and you have someone else who would like attend the retreat in your place, I will try wherever possible to transfer your place to them.
- ** If the event is cancelled by the venue owners or myself, the retreat facilitator, then you will receive a FULL refund including your deposit.
Bookings are closed for this event.