THANK YOU for visiting me at embodyharmony.com!
Take care and see you soon – Michelle x
NB. I wish to respectfully let you know that my therapy room is available to female clients only and I will not be taking any bookings from male clients. Thank you for your understanding.
Known as Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD), this is a blissfully relaxing and gentle treatment using special massage techniques to encourage the natural flow and drainage of lymph fluid and is particularly relevant to those with fluid retention and swelling (oedema). Drainage is essential because the lymphatic system lacks a pump of its own to transport lymph through the body and must rely on physical movement and massage to flush the fluid.
All massage treatments can be tailored to suit you – please get in touch to discuss your needs and to book an appointment.
Give the Gift that’s KIND to the Body & Mind! Click here for details of how to buy a loved one or yourself a GIFT VOUCHER for any treatment with me in Cork!
Before I list out all the benefits you might be asking:
It is part of the body’s immune system and helps to protect us from infection and disease by eliminating cellular waste – such as bacteria and viruses. Lymph fluid passes through lymph nodes which are connected by a network of lymph vessels (similar to veins and arteries). The vessels sit a few millimetres below the skin, hence the reason that the massage is extremely light. Lymph nodes are found throughout the whole body – mainly in the neck, armpits, groin and abdomen – and they filter and break-down bacteria, toxins and other harmful cells carried in the lymph fluid. Lymph fluid can pool in parts of the body causing swelling (oedema) For example – after lymph nodes have been removed, after surgery, if you’ve had an infection and after long periods of inactivity maybe due to post-injury recovery. There are also a number of other benefits including for those going through cancer treatment or post-surgery recovery (see below).
- Can reduce oedema (swelling) caused by the pooling of lymph fluid in a number of different cases – examples are :
- Swelling often found the ankles, lower legs and knees eg. Due to long periods seated, a sluggish lymphatic system or if you have hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid).
- Can reduce facial puffiness and swelling around the neck – maybe caused by an infection, a virus or sinusitis. It can also help heal acne.
- Post-surgery or post-injury – eg. After a sports injury the lymph vessels may be overwhelmed with the demands of healing inflammation and prevent the flow of lymph fluid, causing fluid retention. MLD can help to reduce the pressure on the affected areas and aid healing.
- Post-breast cancer surgery when lymph nodes have been examined or removed.
- After liposuction.
- The gentle, rhythmic massage movements are extremely soothing and bring about deep relaxation and reducing stress hormones. MLD can also help to relieve fatigue, relieve insomnia and boost your energy levels.
- If you are an athlete or sportsperson, MLD can gently sooth sore muscles and is the best way to drain painful lactic acid build-up in the muscles.
- If you are recovering from an infection or virus MLD can improve your immune system and aid recovery.
- It can smooth cellulite particularly if combined with body brushing (click or select from Add-Ons drop down menu to find out more)
- It can help to detox the body and boost your immune system and resilience against infections. Also helpful if you’re trying a detox diet or juice cleanse.
- MLD can also be part of a care programme for those with fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome. It’s gentle enough to be tolerated in cases where patients suffer extreme sensitivity and soreness bringing pain relief and relaxation.
I am trained in special massage techniques that allow you to have a soothing, safe and supportive massage during any stage of cancer treatment and recovery. This includes Lymphatic Drainage Massage and Touch Therapy Massage for Cancer Care – click on the link or drop-down menu for more info. Reflexology for Cancer Care is also available – click on About Reflexology or select from the drop-down menu.
Surgical procedures involving lymph node examination or removal – such as breast cancer surgery – can cause limbs to swell. Also when you are going through or recovering from chemotherapy the body’s immune system can be severely affectedand you may have long periods of time when you are inactive – also causing swelling. Not only can lymphatic drainage boost your immune system it can also provide a soothing and relaxing touch to help you cope with the side-affects and emotions you experience during this very tough time in your life.
NB. Manual Lymphatic Drainage is a complementary treatment that in NO WAY replaces the treatment and medication you receive from your professional Oncology Doctor and Care Team. It’s important that you advise your specialist team that you intend to have a massage and I will run through a detailed consultation with you regarding your cancer and its treatment.Severe and painful swelling needs the attention of a specialist medical team.
All massage treatments with me cost :
- €65 for 60 mins
- €85 for 90 mins
- Buy a course of any 4 treatments, get 5th FREE!
For your convenience you can pay by card (or cash of course!). Your first treatment will include a full consultation to ensure it meets your specific needs and you can relax and enjoy time just for YOU!
*Terms and Conditions of Course Voucher – BUY 4 GET 5TH FREE VOUCHER: 4x treatments must be pre-paid at full-price (€260 4x 60 mins or €340 4x 90 mins). All vouchers are valid for 3 calendar months from date of purchase. You can choose from ANY of the treatments on offer with me. Free 5th treatment can be claimed as a one-off treatment or the 60 mins can be added to another pre-paid treatment eg. Add 30 mins to 2x 60 min pre-paid treatments. Cancellation policy – at least 24 hours notice must be given if cancelling or amending your appointment or the relevant treatment voucher will be considered as redeemed and used.
***NB. Insurance claims are subject to the specific terms and conditions of your policy. I will provide accredited receipt after your treatment for you to make the claim directly from your insurer.