Date(s) - 01/10/2022 - 06/10/2022
Meditation & Tai Chi where the Volcanos meet the Sea! 5-days of luxury in Lanzarote.
Dates: Sat 1st – Thurs 6th October 2022
Location: Villa Volcan, Tabayesco near near Arrieta, Lanzarote, Spain – approx 30 mins drive from Lanzarote airport.
There is ONLY ONE ROOM LEFT (single or twin occupancy)! For details and to book please WhatsApp me on +353 86 878 5212.
Meanwhile, for details of my exciting retreats in Incredible India and Wonderful Wexford, Ireland in Spring 2023 click the links below:
Hello I’m Michelle – Tai Chi & Meditation Instructor – and I’ve been running holistic holidays for over 5 years now and I love being able to have adventures in inspiring surroundings and put the TREAT in retreat!!
I am SO excited and delighted to invite you to join me for 5-days of Tai Chi, Chi Kung, Meditation, Yoga and inspiring mini-adventures on the spectacular biosphere reserve of Lanzarote in the Canary Islands.
If you’re looking for great company, good food, breathtaking surroundings, mindful movement, fun, rest and relaxation – then this is the Winter-sun break for you! Our simply spectacular and stylish venue – Villa Volcan nr Arrieta – is only an 18 minute walk from the beach with panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean and a majestic, volcanic backdrop.
In this beautiful biosphere, we will slow the tempo right down and tune into the rhythms of this amazing, ancient volcanic island, allowing space and time to relax, unwind and be kind to your body and mind. You’ll have 5 days and nights to soak up the scenery and be inspired by the landscape – which will be like another “guest’” in our group! You’ll feel energised and restored by our classes which will take place in the special locations on our doorstep eg. Tai Chi by the sea! (All welcome – no experience nec). You’ll be uplifted by getting to know new people and enjoy meals and day trips together too – when we go on some mini-adventures together around the island to see its unique landscape and ecological heritage. See EXPLORING LANZAROTE below for more details.
Upon your arrival in Lanzarote, everything will be waiting for you and your only decisions will be what to order from the local beachfront restaurant in the evening!
You might also like to read my BLOG “Thelma and Louise, Tai Chi and Me – Why I love hosting holistic holidays” CLICK HERE and see pics of past retreats including the most recent to Portugal in June 2022!
I simply can’t wait to “Chi-lax” and welcome you to this magical place!! Michelle x
Your retreat price includes the following once you arrive in Lanzarote :
- Return airport transfers in a hybrid car with a glass of cava. NB. Free transfers apply on 1st and 6th October only. See TRAVEL & TRANSFERS below for more details.
- 5 nights deluxe accommodation
- A substantial, nutritious breakfast or brunch each day – depending on our schedule. More details below under OUR MEALS
- A farewell dinner on our last evening – including a paella cookery demonstration with cava, sangria and dessert!
- Drinking water (plastic-free!), soft drinks/ tea & coffee, snacks and fruit will be available at the villa throughout the day
- Daily Tai Chi, Chi Kung and Meditation classes with myself plus two yoga classes during our stay given by a local instructor. Yoga mats will be provided.
- Free use of the facilities at the villa including solar-heated swimming pool, sun-loungers and ping-pong table
- Free transport in a hybrid car to optional day-trips / excursions. See EXPLORING LANZAROTE below.
FLIGHTS & EXTRAS :
The following are NOT INCLUDED in the retreat fee:
- Your flights to Lanzarote. See TRAVEL & TRANSFERS below.
- 4x evening meals from Saturday to Tuesday.
- Any other meals, drinks, alcoholic drinks or snacks you may wish to purchase
- Entrance fees on optional day trips – See more details under EXPLORING LANZAROTE below.
- Any other personal expenses, gifts etc. NB. pls see WHAT TO BRING section below.
KEEN TO STAY EXTRA NIGHTS?
Our holiday runs from Sat 1st Oct to Thurs 6th. If you’d like to stay for an extra x2 nights until 8th Oct there will be a few of us staying on too! Cost is only per night ¢80pp sharing/ ¢105pp single. Please let me know when booking if you’d like to add this option to your booking. If your flight leaves at a similar time it my own I will be able to extend the offer of free transfers until 8th Oct.
OUR VENUE – Villa Volcan, near Arrieta.
Where to start to describe this simply spectacular and stylish villa with ocean, pool and garden views from almost every angle !? The images above and video below will give you a taste of what’s in store for you for 5 days and nights. At the Villa, it’s all about relaxation in stunning surroundings where nature is like another guest. From the minute you step inside this spacious light and airy villa the tone is set for the rest of your stay and you’ll feel the stresses of daily life fade into the distance! Whether you are enjoying the views from your sun lounger by the solar heated pool, from the huge ocean view terrace where will will do some of our classes or enjoying the sunset with a glass of local wine – With its unspoilt views and Canarian climate, relaxing is not difficult and it goes without saying that you will experience the TREAT in retreat!!!
We will have exclusive use of this peaceful, luxury 6-bedroom villa set on the mountainside of Tabayesco with uninterrupted views out to sea on the North East coast of Lanzarote. Situated on the outskirts of the tranquil village of Tabayesco, just minutes away from the sleepy little fishing village of Arrieta (25 mins walk / 2.4km) with its fabulous golden sand coastline known as ‘Arrieta Bay’ just 18 mins walk / 1.4km away. This strikingly modern ‘home from home’ villa offers breath-taking panoramic views of Arrieta’s coastline and overlooks the Atlantic Ocean. The villa is 30km / 30 mins drive from Lanzarote airport. See more details of our location in EXPLORING LANZAROTE below.
The villa is owned and run by (coincidentally!) a Brit called Michelle and her husband who have been living and working in Lanzarote for over 30 years, having built up a team and a portfolio of amazing properties all over the island with style and sustainability always at the fore. Our villa is close to their Eco-Village (5 mins walk) which clearly showcases their love of hosting guests in style but with impeccable eco-credentials too – in support of the beautiful biosphere reserve they call home.
In a recent blog, they posted “we’ve partnered with sustainable tourism champions, Canary Green to help promote responsible holidays. At Lanzarote Retreats we believe that life-enhancing travel is not just about seeing a place, but experiencing it, which in turn helps conserve local culture and communities. It’s great to collaborate with other organisations that feel the same way.” Their team also ran a recent beach clean-up project to maintain the pristine Playa de la Garita.
- A substantial, daily breakfast / brunch is included in your retreat price (depending on our schedule) and will include lots of local produce eg. Local bread, butter, local jam, orange juice, natural yoghurt, local eggs, local cheese, Serrano ham, local fruit and tomatoes, roast chicken, homemade Canarian potato salad & coleslaw, sausages, bacon, spinach tortilla.
- You can help yourself to tea/ herbals, coffee and snacks throughout the day
- The Eco-Finca , 5 mins walk from the villa, has a little shop where you can purchase local wines, beers, toiletries and snacks.
- Evening meals – we will be eating-out on the first 4-nights most likely at one of the two local beach front restaurants. On our last evening (Wednesday) “Ninja Chef’ Matt will host a very special Paella Cookery demonstration for us at the Villa. He can do both meat and veggie versions for us and we’ll enjoy the fruits of his labours with Cava and Sangria plus dessert! This is included in your retreat price.
- Special diets – veggie, gluten free and dairy free options can be catered for so please advise when booking if you have any special dietary needs.
EXPLORING LANZAROTE :
Lanzarote – The beautiful and unique island of Lanzarote is the nearest of the (Spanish owned) Canary Islands to the continent of Africa – only 100km away infact. Whereas it actually lies around 1000km from mainland Spain!
Lanzarote’s location makes it the perfect place to catch the sunshine almost all-year round. It has an average, balmy temperature of 22 degrees earning the island its nickname of “the Island of Eternal Spring.” Its landscape is one of extreme contrasts with fantastic sea-scapes and beaches and other-worldly volcanic vistas, where the only greenery might be hardy cacti.
Lanzarote’s most unique feature is that the entire island was designated as a Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO in 1993. While La Palma was the first Canary Island to feature an area of biosphere reserve, Lanzarote is exceptional because it includes all of the ecosystems and territories of the island including its towns and villages. It is said that “the perfect symbiosis that Lanzarote has achieved between man and nature is, without doubt, the main reason for the is international recognition”.
One man, the flamboyant Lanzarote native Cesar Manrique – artist, sculptor, architect, environmentalist and one-time Studio 54 regular , played a huge part in the design of Lanzarote’s towns and houses and also in keeping the island from being ravaged by the demands of mass tourism. His interventions and influence – that has suffered somewhat since his death in ‘93, – resulted in the tourist development of Lanzarote being one that was more sympathetic to the environment. Subsequently there is almost a complete absence of high rise hotels. A visit to the Cesar Manrique Foundation is a must (and will be on offer as an optional excursion!).
Arrieta – An oasis in the lava ! We will really get away from it all here with panoramic sea views flanked by volcanic mountains as far as the eye can see! Our location is stunning, serene and soothing.
Our venue is approx 30km / 30 mins drive from the airport – at the edge of a tiny village called Tabayesco with the nearest main area being the sleepy fishing village Arrieta (2.5km). Playa de La Garita – Arrieta’s unspoilt, golden, sandy beach is only an 18-20 minute walk (1.3km) away. This pristine beach has received the coveted European Blue Flag designation for its crystal clear waters, clean appearance, and good facilities. Currents can be strong here and draw in surfers, so swimmers take care. I was there in January 2022 and swam in one of the nearby, sea-water rockpools nearly every day! In October the temperatures should be a very pleasant 23 degrees so will be perfect for easy sunbathing and a dip! There are two lovely bar/restaurants on the beach that will be perfect for our evening meals (Sun to Weds).
OPTIONAL EXCURSIONS –
When I visited in January I also drove the length and breadth of the island and our Villa is not only convenient for the airport but also for a number of lovely excursions. I’ll be renting a minivan so can drive us around the island to see various viewpoints and must-see features of the island eg.
- Cueva de los Verdes & Jameos del Agua (10 mins drive) – Stunning Volcanic caves and lava lakes with underground caverns, pools and even cafes and acoustic auditoriums! A must-see. Approx 10-15 euro pp entrance fee for both.
- Cesar Manrique Foundation (15 mins drive) – built into a lava-bubble, this extraordinary home of the great man has to be seen to be believed. A showcase of Manrique’s design and architectural talents. 10 euro pp entrance fee.
- Manrique’s Cactus garden – another few minutes drive from the caves and well worth a visit.
- Mirador del Rio (20 min drive) – Manrique’s spectacular viewpoint set into the Famara cliffs, with breathtaking views over the cliffs, volcanos and the tiny island and marina of Graciosa Island (with 500 inhabitants). Tiny village of Punta Mujeres is on the way with warm rock pools for swimming.
- Vineyard and wine-tasting – this is also an option run by the vineyard (approx 60-85 euro pp incl transport) believe it or not, on an island where virtually nothing grows, they have found a way to cultivate their own (very good!) vines and wines! A visit to a unique Lanzarotian vineyard could also be an option……..
What to bring & FAQ’s:
Of course, this is not an exhaustive list but here are our suggestions to help make this an enjoyable and comfortable experience for everyone –
- Beach shoes/ flip flops for swimming as it can be rocky / stony underfoot when swimming.
- Comfy, light clothing for Tai Chi & Yoga.
- Sunscreen / sunhat
- A torch
- Mosquito repellent – generally not a problem but the occasional mozzie may appear
- A wrap / layers for the evenings
- Favourite teabags and snacks if required!
- Sturdy shoes/runners for scenic walks
- European 2-pin plug adaptor
- Refillable water bottle
- If you have cabin baggage only – no bottle of liquids above 100ml can be taken on the plane. NB. Empty, refillable water bottles are fine in your hand luggage. Most airports now have water refill stations.
Q. I’m a beginner – are the Tai Chi and Chi Kung classes suitable for me? A. Yes! Our classes will be suitable for beginners of all shapes, ages and sizes! The majority of movements in these classes are fairly gentle and I will talk you through every step. Your safety, comfort and wellbeing is my primary concern. I am very happy to chat with you on the phone to discuss any particular needs or questions you may have about the classes and you can find out more here. Please be mindful of your own physical limits and abilities when taking up any new form of exercise and during the classes ensure you stop immediately if any movements cause pain or discomfort. If you’re new to meditation, rest assured I will also guide you through it.
Q. Will it be hot when we go to Lanzarote? A. At the time of the holiday in early October the temperatures should be warm and pleasant. In October the temperatures can be around 22 degrees with pretty much zero chance of rain. However – Lanzarote can be very windy, especially by the sea. Our villa is fairly well sheltered and we’ll assess conditions for outdoor activities as we go.
Q. Can I drink the tap water? A. No! But the Villa has its own sustainable drinking water supply so you can refill your drinking bottles and avoid unnecessary plastic. The tap water is fine for showers of course.
Q. Do you cater for special diets? A. Yes! Brunch/ breakfasts – We can provide diary free options and gluten free bread. These can also be catered for during our Paella Evening. Pls advise your dietary requirements when you book your place.
Q. Where is the nearest village to the Villa? A. The nearest village is Arrieta around 2.4km / 30 mins walk from the Villa. There are a handful of inexpensive cafe/bar/restaurants on the Main Street and near the small harbour in addition to the two on the beach. Plus a few gift shops. There is a small supermarket and a cash machine. Arietta does not have a pharmacy but if you need something urgently we can ask the staff at the Eco-Village or I will have a car and may be able to help.
Q. How much cash will I need to bring? A. Cards are generally accepted everywhere including the Eco-Village shop. You might wish to bring some cash Euros with you for convenience when paying for entry tickets or snacks and drinks etc. There is a cash machine in Arietta.
Q. Is there WiFi? A.Yes there is WiFi at the Villa.
Q. Are. There Disability facilities? A. Due to the villa layout being on a number of levels and the surrounding uneven , stony terrain , unfortunately the location and venue are not suitable for those with mobility issues or disabilities.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION :
Your safety, comfort and wellbeing on our retreat is of upmost priority for myself – Michelle, your facilitator – and the venue owners – Lanzarote Retreats. Therefore, to make the trip an unforgettable and enjoyable experience for everyone, I ask that you carefully read all of the following information below when booking your place regarding Travel & Transfers, Terms & Conditions and Cancellation Policy.
You’ll also see a list of FAQ’s above that I hope will be helpful. If you have any other queries pls don’t hesitate to contact me on email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone / WhatsApp +353 86 878 5212.
TRAVEL & TRANSFERS
- Travel Insurance – Your safety and comfort is our utmost concern please ensure you and anyone travelling with you have suitable travel insurance to cover your holiday as neither myself, Michelle Gupta, nor the venue owners Lanzarote Retreats, will be held responsible for any liability, expenses or losses you incur as a result of not being adequately insured. This is part of the T&C’s of booking your place on the retreat.
- Passport/Visa requirements – If you are travelling from outside UK or the EU, please check your passport, visa and entry requirements needed to travel to Portugal and that you have sufficient time remaining on your passport. It is generally recommended by most EU governments that you have at least 6 months remaining on your passport when travelling.
- Transfers from and to Lanzarote Airport (30-40 mins drive each way) – Return transfers – with a glass of Cava on arrival – by car/minivan are included in your retreat price. Pls note that transfers are included for the retreat dates only ie. Arriving 1st October / departing 6th October. If you decide to travel on different days then you will need to cover your own transfer costs accordingly. Based on the travel arrangements of other guests, every effort will be made to share extra transfer costs wherever possible.
- Your flights – I booked my flight in Jan 2022 and paid 260 Euro with Ryanair from Cork to Lanzarote. Your flight costs will depend on your individual chosen route and time of booking. NB. I, Michelle Gupta, nor the venue owners Lanzarote Retreats, take any responsibility for changes or cancellations of flights by the airline. We will do our utmost to facilitate transfers in the case of delays.
- Your arrival time > I will already be in Lanzarote for a week before the retreat so will be at the venue to greet you. Pls note that we will have access to the villa until 2-3pm. We can use the communal space and facilities at the nearby Eco-Village before the villa is ready and we can easily stroll to the beach or the village for a coffee and a snack if you arrive very early. I will also have a car.
- Your departure > Check-out is 10am. We will have use of the a shower and changing facilities at the Eco-Village (10 mins walk away) if you have a late flight on 6th Oct.
- Your flight details – When booking your flights, please confirm your flight details by email to email@example.com. I will co-ordinate the transfer cars accordingly and group together a number of guests for each car. It’s possible that you may have to wait at Lanzarote airport on arrival or departure and I will try to minimise waiting time wherever possible.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF BOOKING & CANCELLATION POLICY
Tai Chi holiday at Villa Volcan in Arrieta, Lanzarote – facilitated by Michelle Gupta and venue owners, Lanzarote Retreats.
Dates: 1st – 6th October 2022 (see details regarding transfers and check-in / check-out times above).
By booking your place on this holiday from you are agreeing to abide by the following terms and conditions and confirm that you have read and understand all the information below. Paying your deposit and subsequent full-fees for the holiday forms the contract between me – Michelle Gupta, the retreat facilitator – and yourself.
1) Travel Insurance – as per the TRAVEL & TRANSFERS section above, it is essential that ensure yourself and any parties you may be attending with have adequate travel insurance for your trip. We cannot accept any participants who are not insured to travel.
2) Deposits – The deposit €247 pp paid to confirm your place and chosen room is completely non-refundable ** (See Cancellation policy below).
3) All balance payments must be paid in full by 1st Sept 2022 and you confirm that you will adhere to this payment date. NB. If you’d like to pay the balance in 2 instalments on 1st August and 1st September this is also an option. All balance payments must be made via online banking or lodged directly into my business account. If you wish to pay by card over the phone then a card fee of 2% will be added.
NB. If booking your place on or after 1st September 2022 then the full-fee is payable when booking your place.
4) Complaints procedure – in the unlikely event that a participant is unhappy about an aspect of the holiday, please put your complaints to me in writing no later than 7 days from the end of the trip (by 13th October 2022).
5) Force majeur – excluding Covid 19 – if the retreat cannot take place due to any event beyond reasonable control of myself or the venue owners and that which is unavoidable notwithstanding the care of the affected parties, each situation will be assessed at the time and all attempts will be made to re-schedule the event for a later date.
6) Covid 19 – European travel has opened up considerably in 2022 and it is looking highly unlikely that Covid will cause any travel issues to Spain.
a) please ensure you have the correct vaccinations or proof of recovery required to enter Spain when booking your place. Information can be found at the Irish Dept of Foreign Affairs here > https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/spain/
b) If there is a government mandated lockdown and travel ban made by the Spanish authorities during 1st-6th October 2022 that causes a cancellation of the event (because travel to and from Spain is not possible) any deposits and amounts paid will be valid for a rescheduled, future retreat with me – Michelle Gupta – at the same venue, valid for 12 months after restrictions are lifted.
c) If you choose not to travel but travel to Spain is still permitted Ie. In the case that the authorities of your country of origin are stating that travel to Spain not is advised or recommended but there is not an actual ban on travel and you make a choice not to travel, no deposits / amounts paid will be refunded. Nor will any payments be transferable to a future event.
d) Quarantine: in Spain – Before the retreat starts (before 1st October 2022) in the case of a quarantine period imposed by the Spanish government for the dates of the retreat 1-6th October 2022 – if it is longer than the length of the retreat ie. More than 5 days – then the amounts paid will be transferable to a future event as above. If the quarantine time is 7 days or less, then the event will go ahead. In your home country – If the government in your country of origin impose a quarantine on your return from Spain, then the event will also be transferable as above.
- The deposit €247pp is entirely non-refundable**
- Any cancellations made 4 weeks or more prior to the event – before 1st September 2022 – will receive a refund of 50% of the full retreat fee minus €247 deposit deposit which will not be refunded.
- Any cancellations made less than 4 weeks prior to the event – on or after 1st September 2022 will be charged at 100% of the retreat fee and no refunds will be made.
- If you cannot attend and you have someone else who would like attend the retreat in your place, I will try wherever possible to transfer your place to them.
- ** If the event is cancelled by the venue owners or myself, the retreat facilitator, then you will receive a FULL refund including your deposit.
Bookings are closed for this event.