Date(s) - 12/06/2022 - 19/06/2022
Quinta Do Barranco Da Estrada
Tai Chi & Yoga Eco-Retreat in Portuguese Paradise! All-inclusive 7-days!
Dates: Sun 12th – Sun 19th June 2022
THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED!
The good news, though, is that there are still places for another exciting trip to Lanzarote 1st-6th October “MEDITATION & TAI CHI WHERE VOLCANOES MEET THE SEA!” Click HERE to pay a deposit and avoid disappointment!
Location: Quinta (‘Villa’) do Barranco da Estrada, Odemira, Portugal, approx. 90 mins drive from Faro Airport.
Cost: €1097 pp sharing (twin/double) / €1397 pp single occupancy
I am SO excited and delighted invite you to this peaceful ‘Paradise in Portugal’ for a week of Tai Chi, Chi Kung, Meditation, Yoga, good food, sunshine, rest and relaxation!
We’ll be staying at a beautiful Eco-Lodge set on the shores of a breathtaking, freshwater lake with inviting, warm waters – the Barragem de Santa Clara – in the Alentejo region of Portugal (around 90 mins drive from Faro Airport).
Everybody is welcome, all classes will be suitable for beginners and no experience is necessary. All of our Tai Chi, Chi Kung, Meditation and Mindful Walking sessions will be fully guided by myself. We’ll even try self-Indian head massage! For more details of these ancient, relaxing yet invigorating practices click here. And please feel free to contact me if you have any other queries. Our Yoga classes will be instructed by Daniela from the Quinta.
In these stunning and serene surroundings we will slow the tempo right down and tune into the rhythms of this little oasis, allowing space and time to relax, unwind and be kind to your body and mind. You’ll have the whole week to soak up the scenery and be inspired by the landscape. And to feel energised and restored by our classes. Upon your arrival in Portugal, everything will be waiting for you and is included in the price. See below for all the delicious details!
I simply can’t wait to “Chi-lax” and welcome you to this magical place!! Michelle x
Your retreat is all inclusive!
Once you arrive in Portugal the price includes:
- Return airport transfers – Faro Airport**
- 7 nights in an en-suite room with seated terrace with lake view.
- 3 home-cooked meals per day (light buffet meal on arrival evening / breakfast on departure day). Tea and coffee throughout the day.
- Daily Tai Chi, Chi Kung and Meditation classes with myself plus three yoga classes instructed by Daniela from the Quinta (held every other day). All take place on the shaded Shala with the lake-view. Yoga mats will be provided.
- Free use of the sauna
- Swimming off the private jetty and use of paddle boards and canoes
**NB. IMPORTANT : Airport transfers – a surcharge may be payable if you choose to travel outside of the transfer times (which are arranged around suggested flights). See Travel, Flight & Transfer Information at the bottom of the page below.
The following are not included in the retreat fee:
- Your flights to Portugal – see ‘Travel & Transfers Information’ below.
- Any alcoholic / soft drinks purchased from the in-house bar
- Optional Birding walks with Frank – we’ll arrange if the demand is there.
- Any other personal expenses. And pls see ‘What to Bring’ section below.
About the Quinta do Barranco de Estrada –
Our hosts are Frank and Daniela McClintock who moved to the Alentejo a lifetime ago and built the Quinta from scratch to what it is now, a veritable “Paradise in Portugal”. It is surrounded by hills, gardens, wildlife, flora and fauna, (with a garden designed as a bird oasis), and has a panoramic view of the gigantic lake upon whose shores it rests. Winning awards every year for its hospitality, food and sustainability, it’s a tranquil gem and true escape from the busy-ness and bustle of daily life.
Daniela is our Chef and will also teach our three Yoga classes through the week. Frank’s speciality is Birding and – as a professional Birdwatching Guide for the last 25 years – he loves nothing more than to take his guests on a tour of the local countryside. Local birds include orioles and nightingales.
An optional Birding tour with Frank including a visit to the local village, Santa Clara a Velha, may be arranged at extra cost – subject to demand.
Created as a labour of love over the last 30 years, this eco-retreat, which uses 90% solar power, will be exclusively for our use all week and really puts the treat in retreat!
See why The Guardian included the Quinta in its article “25 of the Best Places to Stay in Portugal” in May 2021.
And click this Tripadvisor link to see their many 5-Star rated reviews!
You might also like to see a video about the Story of the Quinta!
Facilities at The Quinta:
All of the ten guest bedrooms are en-suite with a bath and shower and a seated terrace area overlooking the lake. All the cool, airy rooms are individually decorated. Tea/coffee facilities and towels are provided. (NB: You will need to bring your own beach towel for swimming).
There’s a roofed terrace for dining outside on the warm evenings – and a vine covered terrace next to 2-acres of tiered gardens with steps down to a private jetty on the lake. Swimming in the warm, freshwater lake is a must! Sunbeds and chairs are available plus canoes and paddleboards
Enjoy the 2 cosy lounge spaces with a lake views and a large fireplace, a huge indoor dining table and a fully-stocked bar.
A large shaded Shala will be the setting for our classes overlooking the lake. Yoga mats are provided.
Dining at the Quinta :
Always designed with the environment in mind, Daniela and Frank grow their own fruit, salads and vegetables as part of their authentic, home-cooked cuisine. Daniela will provide gourmet-style meals using local ingredients and we certainly won’t go hungry!
- Breakfast includes cheeses, presunto (similar to prosciutto ham), yoghurts, croissants, bread, butter, jams and honey, cereals, freshly squeezed orange juice, tea/coffee and fruit.
- Our light lunches will be buffet style salads, soup, bread and fruit
- Our evening meals will include three courses and bread, tea/coffee.
Alcoholic and soft drinks will be available for purchase from the bar, including an extensive local wine list of which Frank is a conossiour!
Special dietary needs – please advise at the time of booking. Daniela can cater for a wide range of diets eg. veggie, vegan, dairy free, gluten free etc.
Drinking water – the lake is a freshwater reservoir that provides safe drinking water from the taps at the Quinta. I suggest you bring along a refillable water bottle.
We’d love you to join us! Here are details of Booking and Payments:
€1097 pp SHARING (twin/double)
€1397 pp SINGLE OCCUPANCY
You can book one or multiple places online below or get in touch to pay by card over the phone. Places and accommodation are limited and allocated on a first-come, first-served basis so pay your deposit now to avoid disappointment!!
- Deposit €247pp is non refundable* (See cancellation policy below).
After paying your deposit, pls email me at email@example.com to request your choice of a shared (twin/double) or single occupancy room and I’ll get back to you with availability straight away. NB. All bookings are subject to availability and if no suitable accommodation is available at your time of booking then your deposit will be refunded in full.
- The full balance instalment €850pp shared / €1150 single is payable by 10th April 2022 (8 weeks before the event).
- If booking your place after 10th April then the full-fee is payable
- The deposit €247pp is entirely non-refundable##
- Any cancellations made 4 weeks or more prior to the event – before 15th May 2022 – will receive a refund of 50% of the full retreat fee minus €247 deposit deposit which will not be refunded.
- Any cancellations made less than 4 weeks prior to the event – on or after 15th May 2022 will be charged at 100% of the retreat fee.
- If you cannot attend and you have someone else who would like attend the retreat in your place, I will try wherever possible to transfer your place to them.
- ## If the event is cancelled by the venue owners or myself, the retreat facilitator, then you will receive a FULL refund including your deposit.
- Covid 19 – as someone who is passionate about travelling and running retreats in amazing locations, I sincerely hope this cancellation clause will not be needed but this is the best I can offer in this very unpredictable climate :
- Lockdown where travel to Portugal is banned – In the case of a government mandated lockdown during 12-19th June 2022 – causing a cancellation of the event because travel to and from Portugal has been banned – any deposits and balances paid will be valid for a future retreat with me – Michelle Gupta – at the same venue, valid for 12 months after restrictions are lifted. If travel is permitted and flights are still going ahead, but travel not is advised / recommended by the local authorities, the deposit / amounts paid (according to above cancellation policy) will not be refunded if a guest chooses not to travel. Nor will payments be transferable to a future event.
- Quarantine: in Portugal – in the case of a quarantine on arrival imposed by the Portuguese government – if it is longer than the length of the retreat ie. More than 7 days then the amounts paid will be transferable to a future event as above. If the quarantine time is 7 days or less, then the event will go ahead. In your home country – If the government in your country of origin impose a quarantine on your return from Portugal, then the event will also be transferable as above.
What to bring & FAQ’s:
Of course, this is not an exhaustive list but here are our suggestions to help make this an amazing and comfortable experience for everyone –
- Beach towel and swimwear.
- Beach shoes/ flip flops for swimming as the ground of the lake is gravel.
- Sunscreen / sunhat
- A torch
- Mosquito repellent – generally not a problem but the occasional mozzie may appear
- A wrap / layers for the evenings
- Favourite teabags and snacks if required!
- Sturdy shoes/runners for scenic walks
- European 2-pin plug adaptor
- Refillable water bottle
Q. I’m a beginner – are the Tai Chi and Chi Kung classes suitable for me? A. Yes! Our classes will be suitable for beginners of all shapes, ages and sizes! The majority of movements in these classes are fairly gentle and I will talk you through every step. Your safety, comfort and wellbeing is my primary concern. I am very happy to chat with you on the phone to discuss any particular needs or questions you may have about the classes and you can find out more here. Please be mindful of your own physical limits and abilities when taking up any new form of exercise and during the classes ensure you stop immediately if any movements cause pain or discomfort. If you’re new to meditation, rest assured I will also guide you through it.
Q. Will it be hot when I go to the Quinta? A. At the time of the holiday in June, yes it will be very warm. Mid June the temperatures can be around 20°C to up to 28°C. June is when the summer heat start across the Alentejo region, with pretty much zero chance of rain.
Q. Can I drink the tap water? A. Yes! As mentioned above, the lake is a freshwater reservoir.
Q. Do you cater for special diets? A. Yes! Pls advise your dietary requirements when you book your place and I will pass them on to Daniela at the Quinta. Eg. veggie, vegan, gluten free, dairy free etc.
Q. Where is the nearest village to the Quinta? A. The nearest village is Santa Clara a Velha, which is about 13km away from the Quinta. There is a train station near there and various small shops and cafes. The Quinta is in a remote area, which is accessed along a 4 km track from the nearest road, but there is always tea available on demand!!
Q. How much cash will I need to bring? A.Please bring sufficient cash with you to purchase extras on site such as bottled water, gifts and alcohol etc. Note that cards can also be accepted.
Q. Is there WiFi? A.Yes there is WiFi at the Quinta. The password for the Wifi will be given out on arrival.
Q. Can I go for walks? A.Yes, it is possible to go on walks from the Quinta, and the Quinta loans out its friendly dogs to those who appreciate them. There are a couple of loop walks that give amazing views of the nearby mountains and the lake. Frank will be offering birdwatching walks, and he is extremely knowledgeable about this area of Portugal.
Q.Is there access to the lake and can I go swimming? A.Yes it is possible to access the lake and this is done by walking down concrete steps to a wooden pontoon. The lake doesn’t have a beach and as you into the water and the ground beneath is rocky with gravel. The depth of the water gets deep almost immediately as you go in the water. Use of the lake is advisable for swimmers only and not suitable for paddling.
There are various canoes and paddle boards that can be used in the lake at no extra cost. There is a sailing dingy that can be hired at 25 Euro per session for any length of time. Please note that these activities are undertaken at your own risk and personal insurance should be taken out if you want to do any of these activities.
Q. Are there dogs at the Quinta? A. Yes, there are four friendly dogs that live at the Quinta. If anyone has an allergy to dogs, they can be kept away from customers staying at the Quinta and they are not allowed in the house. There is also a very pretty parrot that lives at the Quinta called Harry although only Frank can touch Harry!
Q. Are there Disabled facilities? A. Due to the location and landscape of the area, this retreat is not suitable for those in wheelchairs or who are immobile.
Travel, Flight & Transfer information :
- Travel Insurance – please ensure you and anyone travelling with you have suitable travel insurance to cover your holiday as neither myself, Michelle Gupta, nor the owners of The Quinta, will be held responsible for any liability, expenses or losses you incur as a result of not being adequately insured.
- Passport/Visa requirements – If you are travelling from outside UK or the EU, please check your passport, visa and entry requirements needed to travel to Portugal and that you have sufficient time remaining on your passport. It is generally recommended by most EU governments that you have at least 6 months remaining on your passport when travelling.
- Transfers from and to Faro Airport (90 mins drive each way) – Return transfers by car/minivan are included in your retreat price based on arriving in Faro within a certain time window – to ensure we can take as many people as possible in one vehicle – and ideally bringing one small handbag plus a small suitcase per person (as per 10kg wheelie case used as carry-on baggage).
- 10kg baggage options explained : On Ryanair this is included in the REGULAR baggage option to carry your small case onto the plane. With Aerlingus it is the SAVER baggage option which states it is a carry-on option. However, it seems they actually want to check-in your bag AT THE CHECK-IN DESK so you need to select “NO CHARGE – check it in” when confirming your booking or you’ll be charged €35 at the gate to carry the bag onto the plane!!
I have listed suitable flight options from Ireland (Dublin and Cork) below that meet this time window as the options are fairly limited. If you come to book any of these flights and there is no seat availability, please contact me and we’ll discuss the alternatives. NB. There are many more flight options if travelling from London/UK.
Arrivals: If you choose to arrive in Faro more than an hour before the times shown below, you can either wait at the airport until pick up time, get a taxi into Faro town and go to a cafe, or request a separate car for an extra cost of €135 one-way (cost is per car holding 4 passengers). There is also a train from Faro to Santa Clara a Velha which is around 30 mins drive from the Quinta – pls contact me if you wish to discuss this option. We will be keeping an eye on arrivals on the day and will, naturally, do our best to wait for your flight if it is running late!
NB. We cannot facilitate transfers for flights scheduled to arrive later than 20.00 on arrival day and if you book a late flight you will need to book a separate car.
Departures: we will be leaving the Quinta in time to meet the earliest flight on the list below (or the earliest flight booked by guests on the list below). Again, if you choose an earlier departure flight, you will need to book a separate car.
All times shown below were correct at time of posting (Nov 2021) and costs will depend on your individual chosen route and time of booking. I’ve just booked my flights for €265 return based on 10kg carry-on luggage (Nov 2021). I, Michelle Gupta, nor the owners of the Quinta, take any responsibility for changes or cancellations of flights by the airline.
Once you’ve booked your flights, please send me all the details including dates, times, airline and flight numbers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Suggested flight options from Ireland :
OUTWARD : Sunday 12th June 2022:
1) RYANAIR FR7032 – Dep Dublin 16.40 – Arr Faro 19.30
2) RYANAIR FR9947 – Dep Cork 17.10 – Arr Faro 19.45
NB. The arrival time at the Quinta will be quite late – around 10pm – so Daniela will prepare a light buffet meal for you.
RETURN : Sunday 19th June 2022:
1) RYANAIR FR7035 – Dep Faro 12.55 – Arr Dublin 15.45
4) AERLINGUS EI495 – Dep Faro 15.25 – Arr Dublin 18.30
NB. map is not interactive
Bookings are closed for this event.